[geeks] Mac definitions

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Jul 15 15:40:20 CDT 2011

On 15-Jul-2011 11:04, Ben Greisler wrote:

> Seatbelts are designed to stretch. This protects the wearer by slowing their
> forward motion in a controlled manner. Stiff belts can harm a wearer when they
> slam against the unyielding webbing. Even racing harnesses are designed this
> way (to vaying extents based on the usage).

Yep, and it also can make them stronger so they'll give rather than break.

It also helps improve the range of driver size and weight they can protect.

> I have been involved with various forms of autoracing for about 24 years now
> and I am amazed at how badly installed most harness systems are. Very few
> people take the time to learn how to install them correctly and unfortunately
> some of the tech inspectors don't know what they are looking at either. I also
> can get on a soapbox about poorly designed roll cages, put I won't.

>From what I've heard, some people also don't mount the seats properly
and/or don't upgrade the mount points for the seat so they'll stay
attached.

I am no expert, but even I noticed a few times that some people would
use bolts in things like roll cages and harness mounts that were not
designed to handle a lot of shearing force, and they stuff would break
loose in an accident or even just constant stress.

For that matter, ditto on nails and other fasteners used in the parts of
buildings that are supposed to handle the stress from storm conditions.

The strongest wall in the world is no good if its bolted down with soft
metal that breaks in a light wind.