[geeks] Mac definitions

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Jul 12 08:42:16 CDT 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Bob wrote:

>> I think that's nostalgia kicking in, kinda like people saying that cars
>> are not built like they used to be. Personally, I don't want to live in
>> a house that has iron water pipes and electrical system installed before
>> there were any decent codes.
>
> They are built different.  Better or worse is the debate.
>
>> For the cars example, I don't think much more needs to be said than to
>> watch this video:
>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrXViFfMGk
>
>> (head-on crash test between a 1959 Chevy and a 2009 Chevy)
>
> That wasn't a head on crash, it was offset.  Maybe on purpose.

Yeah, you're right, but most front-end collisions tend to be offset, due
to how we drive down the road, those types of accidents are going to be
caused by someone drifting over the line, and be offset to the driver's
side.

Personally, most of the accidents I've been in have been me being rear
ended while waiting at stop lights.

I don't know how parents these days are, but I remember when I was
getting my drivers license back in the 80s, parents would talk about how
they wanted to get their kid some big car from the 60s or the 70s, so
that they would be better protected by all that steel should there be a
crash.  Maybe a 76 Buick would have stood up better to an 85 Tercel, but
these days, you're probably going to do better in the Mini Cooper should
it have a similar collision with the 76 Buick.

> I wonder if this was the same outfit that "showed" that my old '73
> Corolla had a 25% chance of bursting into flames if read ended by
> another vehicle going 35 mph while Ford was denying the Pinto had an
> explosion problem.
>
> Of course the best thing is not to crash.  We all do that every day.
> :-)

Until you don't. :)

--
Michael Parson