[geeks] power supply trouble?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Jul 10 22:48:09 CDT 2011

Back on 2011-06-14, I wrote, of a flatscreen with trouble powering up,

> I thought I'd see if anyone could sanity-check my suspicions....
> [...]
> The only thing that's apparent as a possible cause is that of the
> dozen electrolytic caps on the board, some six or seven have visibly
> bulged tops; [...]

I saw a handful of responses saying "yes, that's likely it" and none to
the contrary, which was sanity-check enough for me to remove the caps
and order replacements.  Because I was ordering other things as well
and one of the things I wanted was backordered (hmm, Japanese maker,
coincidence?), the order was held up.  I finally cancelled the
backordered part and released the rest.  (I ordered from Digikey and I
was very positively impressed with them, even more than usual.  I
called to cancel the backordered part on July 4th, forgetting half
their company was in the States and it was thus a holiday; the order
arrived the morning of the 5th anyway, a day earlier than I expected.
Then when I unpacked the box I found their packers had made a mistake
in my favour; I called and reported it and they said because the dollar
value involved was so small (a little under $2) they'd just let me keep
the overage.)

And yes, I was careful to order low-ESR caps rated for 1050.

Because I was out of the city for a while, it was most of a week before
I got around to doing anything with the replacements.  Tonight, I
soldered them in.  As I'm sure nobody here will be surprised to hear,
the display now works as well as it ever did; the delay coming up is
completely gone.  Whee, my SS20 has a display again!

My thanks to everyone involved.  You people rock.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org