[geeks] Mac definitions

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Jul 10 01:37:22 CDT 2011

>> There is little motive for today's hobbyist to trouble himself to
>> learn Solaris at home.  [...]
> I disagree.   Learning different systems gets you to think about
> things more abstractly than what you see in a single operating
> system.  This prepares you for learning new ones when they arrive.

Yes...but that's something that few people realize until they have that
experience.  In other words, it isn't really - though I wish it were -
a reason for people without that variety of experience to acquire it.

I'm very glad I went through my larval phase under VMS, and have used
some other (drastically non-POSIX) OSes, such as PLATO and Lisp
Machines.  Even though I almost never actually use any specifics from
them, the perspective, the awareness that there are other ways out
there and at least a vague idea how some of them differ from Unix, has
been tremendously valuable to me.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org