[geeks] Mac definitions

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Jul 8 15:48:49 CDT 2011

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 08:02:44 -0500 (CDT), Michael Parson wrote:
> My dislike of Ubuntu stems not as much from the Windowsishness of it

Personally I dislike Ubuntu for _me_ because it's too inclined to make
me do things the way they want me to do it. Fair enough for the sheep,
but I'm too old and crusty to like that.

> a co-worker needed some help getting apache to do something, don't
> remember what it was, but after not being able to find the running
> httpd binary, we find that the running binary is named apache.  The
> config files aren't in /etc/httpd, they're in /etc/apache.  No where

Renaming the binary is perhaps going a little further than normal, but
frankly Apache is a poor example here. The binary should never have
been named 'httpd' ... what if you're running different 'httpd's ? Yes
I've done that to switch to Apache but keep CERN around for web caching
(it was before Apache got that feature).

And the config files were most commonly found in a directory named
'apache' or 'apache2'.

> Aside from personal dislikes, I have a perfectly suitable business
> justification. Most of the commercially supported software is going to
> support being run on RHEL and maybe SuSe.

That's a perfectly justifiable preference for recommending to a
business customer. Not a reason for choosing a distribution for a
personal server/workstation; in fact 'mixing it up' is better for
acquiring skills - nothing is more irritating than a system
administrator who is lost when it comes to a new Linux|Unix.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 There has been such a thing as letting mankind alone; there has never