[geeks] Mail Clients With "Masquerade"

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 7 23:22:44 CDT 2011

I'm told that I don't use email the same way most people do.  That's fine,
as my way works for me and my occasionally high mail volume.

One thing that I've done for a little short of a decade is generate a
different email address for each company that does business with me.  The
username+id at domain notation never really worked well for me, especially
since I then have to convince vendors (and their awful verification
regexps) that '+' is a valid character in the local-part of the email
address.  All my email addresses take the form of vendor at subdomain.domain.

They all filter through Postfix to one common spool, and procmail sorts
the messages into vendor-specific folders.

Problem: I don't have a mail client that makes it possible to return
messages using the email address the vendor has, and I'd really rather not
pass around my "real" email address, as a form of spam control.  Ideally,
I'd switch everyone over to a controlled-access address and allow mail to
my "real" one from localhost only.

Is this odd feature available in your mail client or one you know of?  I
could hack it into alpine, but I'd rather not needlessly duplicate effort.

--
Jonathan Patschke |
Elgin, TX         | "He who is contented is rich." -- Lao Tzu