[geeks] Mac definitions (was: Smart phone data usage)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Thu Jul 7 21:12:35 CDT 2011

Quoth Jonathan Patschke [with inclusions by the Sandwich Maker] ...

> > " Which makes my plan to find and restore a 944 all that
> > " more appealing.
> >
> > interesting choice!  a cow orker had a 924, back in the early '80s.
>
> Well, they're fun (great power/weight ratio and weight
> distribution), have very reasonable fuel economy, and look to
> be very easy to work on (unless you need to get at the front
> end of the gearbox).

... or the front end of the engine.  Or anything else to do with the
drive-line.  The whole drive line (engine, clutch, driveshaft,
gearbox/differentisl, rear axle) was assembled separately and inserted into
the unibody fron underneath.  If you have to do anything serious, start by
buying some really tall jackstands.

FWIW, a timing-belt job on a 944 cost $1,400 in the 'eighties, when the cars
were in production.  You don't have to take the whole drivetrain out to do
it, but you do have to disassemble a great deal of the front of the engine
compartment.  It's a real bitch of a job.

> A 928 would be a lot of fun, too.  Strangely, a
> well-preserved 928 is cheaper than a well-preserved 944 in
> this part of the world, probably because the 928 drinks fuel
> at a much quicker pace.

Not to mention that parts are very hard to get, and excruciatingly
expensive.  This was the case even when the 928 was in production.

-Shel