[geeks] Email Disclaimers

mail at catsnest.co.uk mail at catsnest.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 15:09:24 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:
> On 07/07/11 11:29, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Better, if you're going to send confidential information via email,
>>> encrypt it. B That's been a solved problem for nearly twenty years now.
>>
>> It's not a solved problem if people aren't aware of the value or
>> encryption. or that they can encrypt email.
>
> True. B OK, let me restate that: B it is a TECHNICALLY solved problem.
>
>> The majority of people are not aware of encryption, or think of it as
>> something impossibly complex. B  The problem will be solved when people
>> encrypt their stuff in the same way they use email, or lock their
>> doors when they leave home.
>
> Unfortunately, a large part of that problem is that far too many people
> still think that it is a problem that can be solved by saying "Don't
> look at this or we'll hit you with a lawyer." B And that is nothing short
> of laughable. B It is going to be effective only against people who care
> about being vaguely threatened with lawyers.
>
> In actual practice, I suspect that roughly nine times out of ten that
> anyone thinks the solution to a particular problem is to deploy a
> lawyer, that person is wrong. B It's that kind of thinking that is
> litigating and regulating our society to death by slow suffocation.

I blame the software most people use to send emails (in business at least)...
it does not lend its self to these things, they should be just there
instead on one of the post popular email applications all they seem to
do is moving the buttons to a ribbon, it is not a hard thing to do to
establish trust when important communications (email) are to be
exchanged and that trust can be achieved with encryption. key servers
have been available for a long time...
things should be more open. this closed closed closed is just no good for us
=)

Ritchie
--
<-- http://23.me.uk -->
<--Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.  -->