[geeks] Smart phone data usage

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 7 13:14:06 CDT 2011

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I freely confess to not understanding all of the technical issues
> involved.  My best understanding is that the specific issue I'm
> remembering reading about has to do with implementing
> focus-follows-mouse, and that as a result of how ... um ... *looks up
> handy definitions list)* probably either Cocoa or Quartz (I think)
> handles accelerators, keyboard accelerators CANNOT be made to work
> correctly with focus-follows-mouse, EVER, without deep changes to the
> architecture of [Quartz or Cocoa or whichever part it is].

Oh.  Focus-follows-mouse works perfectly for me.  Or maybe it doesn't, and
I've not noticed; most of my interaction with X11.app is done via the
keyboard (Cmd-` and Cmd-[1-9] for switching windows).  The bugs I'm
talking about are:

   1) X11's windows don't get the same level of respect as other
      applications' windows.  Other applications can pop windows above the
      X11 windows, even when X11.app is the active application.

   2) Infrequently (2 - 3 times a day), the xterm I'm working in will
      suddenly lose focus and regain it a second or so later.  Sometimes,
      the xterm doesn't regain focus, and I cannot re-select it with
      cmd-[1-9].  I have to change to another application and then change
      back.

#1 is new as of OS X 10.5 or so.  #2 has been a problem since OS X 10.3.
Apple are largely unresponsive to my defect reports.

--
Jonathan Patschke |
Elgin, TX         | "He who is contented is rich." -- Lao Tzu