[geeks] Mac definitions

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Jul 7 13:10:42 CDT 2011

On 07/07/11 13:01, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> Linux?  I play with it[0] every few months and give it a serious try every
> couple years.  It's still not as usable as it was in 2001 or so, and
> dependency management can still make a grown man cry.

> [0] Usually a survey of the current Slackware, Fedora, RHEL, Debian, and
>      Ubuntu.  I may be an anti-Linux bigot, but I try not to be an
>      uninformed one.

Um ....

Slackware is hopelessly unmaintainable at this point unless you're
willing to use exclusively Slackware's limited selection of [mostly
badly outdated] packages and forgo technologies that everyone else takes
for granted.  (Example:  last time I knew, Patrick Volkerding had
declared that he saw no reason why Slackware should ever support PAM.
No LDAP auth for you!)
Ubuntu?  The Windows of Linux distributions.  DON'T TOUCH THAT!  NO USER
SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE!
Fedora?  Why should we test major releases when we have you to test them
for us?
RHEL?  If kernel 2.6.18 and MySQL 5.0.77 (for example) were good enough
for you in 2006, they should be good enough for you now.  And just don't
get me started on rpm or the RH7 gcc fiasco.

...Have you looked at Gentoo?

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.