[geeks] Mac definitions (was: Smart phone data usage)

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Jul 7 12:41:05 CDT 2011

" From: Jonathan Patschke <jp at celestrion.net>
"
" Linux?  I play with it[0] every few months and give it a serious try every
" []
"
" My dad has tools older than me, which are just as useful working on my
" truck as they were working on his dad's cars.  Yet, the players in this
" industry can't hold direction for a decade at a time.

not a fair comparison.  rate of tech evolution in the auto industry
has been more evolutionary than revolutionary since about 1930,
whereas the pace of change in computers has 5yo tech outdated.
extreme example - gm's v8 is a derivative of one chevy introduced in
'55.

having said that, the auto industry seems to be doing its best to
eliminate diy repairs.  a fellow jeep-lister who works at a gm
dealership told of replacing a door on a chevy pickup recently.  it
required reprogramming/updating the car security system; the lock
units are apparently electronically serialized.  it didn't just not
work, it threw error codes and caused general security upset.  there's
a lot of that going around the auto industry...  and yet, they put
entertainment systems on the canbus without any firewalling between
the bluetooth transceiver and the pcm.

" [0] Usually a survey of the current Slackware, Fedora, RHEL, Debian, and
"      Ubuntu.  I may be an anti-Linux bigot, but I try not to be an
"      uninformed one.

just armchair qb - arch linux?  supposed to be less stupid / more geek
oriented than most.