[geeks] Mac definitions (was: Smart phone data usage)

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 7 12:01:41 CDT 2011

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Joost van de Griek wrote:

> Good times, eh? Guess who are the ones now screeching that Apple is
> turning the Mac into an iOS device with all the changes coming in
> Lion?

That, we are.  I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to use as a
workstation operating system.  I have some fair amount of money invested
in Adobe software for OS X, but most of the changes in 10.7 seem
antagonistic towards engineering and content-creation work.

Windows 7 actually made me consider switching back, but Windows 8 looks
like a valiant effort to piss away the precious few things Microsoft got
right (IMO) with user experience.

Linux?  I play with it[0] every few months and give it a serious try every
couple years.  It's still not as usable as it was in 2001 or so, and
dependency management can still make a grown man cry.

My dad has tools older than me, which are just as useful working on my
truck as they were working on his dad's cars.  Yet, the players in this
industry can't hold direction for a decade at a time.

I guess I'll go back to FreeBSD when this Mac outlives its usefulness.

[0] Usually a survey of the current Slackware, Fedora, RHEL, Debian, and
     Ubuntu.  I may be an anti-Linux bigot, but I try not to be an
     uninformed one.
--
Jonathan Patschke |
Elgin, TX         | "He who is contented is rich." -- Lao Tzu