[geeks] Smart phone data usage

Eric Railine erailine at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 08:49:41 CDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Andrew Jones <andrew at jones.ec> wrote:

> I was pretty skeptical of software keyboards until I staged a cheap
> experiment.  When the iphone was new and weird, I persuaded a die-hard
> BlackBerry traditionalist to engage in a typing contest with a brand new
> iphone user.
>
> They both performed miserably, but equally miserably.  Their figures were
> within 5% of one another.  Conclusion: phone-sized keyboards are all awful.

YMMV (and obviously does) but I have to disagree.  The fastest iPhone user
I've met wasn't as fast typing (or as accurate) as I used to be on my BB
and I wasn't remotely the fastest BB user.

Having said that, Swiftkey for Android is pretty damn good at predictive
texting & just gets better as it learns from your usage, and does help
mitigate the speed difference with a software keyboard.  (Swype just never
worked as well as even the default keyboard for me.)

-Eric