[geeks] Smart phone data usage

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Thu Jul 7 08:30:47 CDT 2011

On 07/07/2011 04:20 AM, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 15:52:29 -0400, Phil Stracchino<alaric at metrocast.net>  wrote:
>> However, if I'm going to buy and Android phone, I want one with a good
>> physical keyboard.  RIGHT NOW, the best physical keyboard on an Android
>> phone is reportedly the HTC Merge.
>
> I wouldn't get too hung up on the physical keyboard. Swype is pretty
> awesome and fast (in fact even faster than those tiny phone
> keyboards), the only reason I would not want to have a touchscreen
> phone was if I had to use it for terminal/ssh work.

I was pretty skeptical of software keyboards until I staged a cheap
experiment.  When the iphone was new and weird, I persuaded a die-hard
BlackBerry traditionalist to engage in a typing contest with a brand new
iphone user.

They both performed miserably, but equally miserably.  Their figures
were within 5% of one another.  Conclusion: phone-sized keyboards are
all awful.