[geeks] Email Disclaimers

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jul 6 18:12:35 CDT 2011

On 07/06/11 18:47, Edward Mitchell wrote:
> The other interesting thing is location of the disclaimer.  If the information
> is really that sensitive, the logical place for the disclaimer is at the top
> of the message, before the privileged content.  Otherwise, in order for a
> regular person to find the disclaimer, they would naturally read the entire
> email first and only thereafter come upon the disclaimer.  By placing it as a
> header instead of a footer (I believe there is software to manage this
> process, since attorneys have deep pockets) you give yourself two options.
> Option 1 is that the recipient is put on notice immediately and can cease
> reading the email and notify the sender (see ABA Model Rule 4.4(b), adopted in
> some form or another in most of the 50 states).

Yup, this makes perfect sense.  But a clearly-boilerplate disclaimer
that the recipient does not encounter until after reading everything
it's supposed to protect - if the recipient even sees it *at all*, as I
have personally seen mail clients that don't display email signatures by
default or that allow signature display to be disabled - is next to
worthless.  It's not so much locking the stable door after the horse has
bolted, as putting a Post-It note on the open door of the empty stable
that says "By the way, this door is locked."

>  Option 2 is that *if* a
> plaintiff argued the disclaimer was the basis for formation of a unilateral
> contract (a stretch, but not impossible on the right set of facts), the court
> could find an enforceable contract against the defendant and award damages for
> any harm caused.

I would think that would be a pretty tough argument to make.  I can't
even begin to imagine the barrel of worms that would be opened by a
legal precedent saying that a single email message can unilaterally
create a contract with an arbitrary, unknown recipient, who was not even
intended to receive it in the first place, and without the consent of
the recipient.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.