[geeks] Bug-Out Bags

ed at arxsystems.net ed at arxsystems.net
Mon Jan 31 16:36:03 CST 2011

>> firestarters if things are somewhat damp or windy.  When I want
>> fire, I want it NOW.  Also makes a quick way to sterilize a needle
>> or knife blade for digging out splinters and other foreign bodies.
>
> The problem with a Zippo is that the fuel eventually evaporates; will a Bic
> hold up long-term (6+months) if I stick it in a plastic bag?

I keep 3 Bics in my hunting gear (two of the small ones, about 2" long
and one of the bigger see-through types with flame adjustment.)  They have
been in there going on 5 or 6 years, just tossed into a small cloth bag
that also holds some matches, a small light, first aid kit, and a few
other items.  I test them before each outing to make sure I get flame.

They've lasted this long without special care.

Evaporating fuel is a problem with a Zippo, which is why it's more of an
everyday carry item for me.  I can maintain fuel levels that way.  In a
pinch, Coleman lantern gas will work in a Zippo, too.