[geeks] Bug-Out Bags

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jan 31 15:53:55 CST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 02:20:29PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:

>One of my recent projects:
>
>http://weblog.mrbill.net/archives/2011/01/22/project-completed-diy-berkey-water-filter/

BTW, the Sport Berkey is no relation to this. New Millenium Concepts was
a dealer of the actual Berkefeld filters before 2000 and went out of business
when nothing happened.

It resurfaced a few years later, with the Berkey (note the y at the end)
name trademarked and a whole bunch of products that are knock offs of
the Fairy Ceramics (Berkefeld) ones.

According to a competitor, the stainless steel filters they sell are made
in India, and no one seems to know where his filter elements come from.
I emailed Fairy about it, and they gave me the email of their authorized US
distributor and suggested I ask them. I was going to, and then found it was
much cheaper for me to buy one from the UK.

There also is another company in Texas, which makes a knock-off with activated
charcoal in their filter elements. IMHO this would reduce their useable life
significantly.

I also noticed the over the counter pain killers. Ibuprofen is sold as 200mg
tablets over the counter, and higher doses prescription. At one time taking 2 or
4 advil was cheaper than prescriptions of the equivalent doseage, now it
is much cheaper to get a prescription.

It's one of the drugs that is listed on Wal-Marts $4 a prescription list.

eBay is a good place, I bought 500 81 mg aspirin for around $12 including
international postage. I got it because the only thing available here is the
100mg tablets and a family member can not take them, but the 81mg are ok.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.