[geeks] Bug-Out Bags

ed at arxsystems.net ed at arxsystems.net
Mon Jan 31 14:49:30 CST 2011

>> What brings up the query, Bill?  Idle curiosity?
>
> I've been rebuilding/remaking my BoB over the past couple of
> weeks, and thought it might be a good discussion topic.
>
> One thing I don't list on that PDF (for a reason) is weapons,
> but I'm definitely not without them.

Given the state of things in the world, not a bad idea to be going
through/over your preparations, in any case.  I've heard, but have no
experience with, that casualty blankets are better than the paper-thin
mylar space blankets.

http://www.imsplus.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=30044

Better ones:

http://tinyurl.com/4ekducb

If needing to keep a lower profile, they might be effective.

Also one overlooked thing is pets.  I don't know how easily one could bug
out with a cat or dog, but it is something we did consider and prepare for
when the bags were put together.  We have a beagle, and he might be an
asset in at least some cases.  The upside is that a dog will eat and drink
just about anything (and unlike humans, can seeminly better stomach
less-than-potable-or-edible items), can be a cheap alarm system, can help
keep pests (rodents) away, and the companionship can be a mental boost if
things are really bad.  I suppose as a last resort, they're also
rations-on-foot, if it came to that.