[geeks] Bug-Out Bags

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jan 31 13:11:01 CST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:42:10PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:

>or a backpack that you can *easily* carry.

Before Hurricane Katrina, the standard plan was to have enough of whatever
you need for three days. By that time, someone should have stepped in and
provided you with whatever you needed.

The response to Katrina (which you can look up why it was delayed), showed
that you need at least a week.

So make sure to have at least a week, preferably a month of any medications
you take.

At one point I had a laptop with a DVD drive and copies of enough DVDs to
keep the kids occupied for weeks. Now they are older and have personal
entertainment devices, (mp3 player, iPod, and iPad) with far more than I
ever took.

I'd also suggest a kindle or nook (I have a nook, but it does not work
well with scanned files) loaded with all sorts of reference books, from
wilderness survival to cooking.

An LED flashlight and portable radio. IMHO long discharge NimH batteries
and a wall/car charger are probably better than a crank type device.

If you are looking at a car or truck trunk type setup, then look at a
Berkey water filter, <http://www.britishberkefeld.co.uk/> or one of the
US knockoffs. For your pocket or backpack, iodine type tables are ok.

Speaking of that potassium iodide or iodate tablets.

Bars of soap and shampoo, such as handed out by hotels are good trade
items. I think in the US Sam's club and Target sell bags of them.

There are lots of books on the subject and about storage and
preservation of food. The LDS Church publishes a lot of them. Here's a
link to a good book which you can download for free without contacting
them. I'm not interested in a religious debate, but contacting them
invites proselytizing, and I won't have it in my home.

http://www.abysmal.com/LDS/Preparedness/

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.