[geeks] Bug-Out Bags

ed at arxsystems.net ed at arxsystems.net
Mon Jan 31 13:00:59 CST 2011

> Here's my current list of supplies in my "Emergency Preparedness / Oh-Shit
> / Bug-Out" bag.
>
> http://www.mrbill.net/BOBplanning.pdf
>
> Do you have one?  If so, what's in yours?

I have one, and the wife has one.  Problem is, they are both pre-kid and
are now in serious need of updating.  I'm glad you posted this, as I've
gone and created an iCal reminder to start the process this weekend.

As for contents, ours are similar to yours, but I've included supplies
that will let me acquire, purify and store small (1-2 quarts) of water
without relying solely on chemicals (run out) or filters (clog, wear out,
fail, etc.)  Canteen cups, stove, fuel pellets and tinder are my preferred
method in that case.  I've also included other personal protection
measures to be used as-needed.

Due to the amount of time I spend in the outdoors, I have placed more
emphasis on being able to use what is around me, versus having to pack it
all around.  That is just a personal preference and I have no idea if it
is a better or inferior philsophy, since I've never had to Bug Out of a
suburban environment.  YMMV, etc. and I suspect there will be some
shift in this outlook as I re-prep/re-pack to include things for the
little one.  Fortunately, she's pretty flexible in what she can eat and
drink now, so her needs are more clothing-oriented (hard to keep up with,
since she's growing like a flippin' weed).

What brings up the query, Bill?  Idle curiosity?