[geeks] Audio Recording

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Jan 24 14:18:58 CST 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 11:28:19 -0800
"Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at artell.net> wrote:

> I'd like to produce either non-compressed files (WAV or similar) or
> very-high-quality compressed ones (MP3 or equivalent.)
You may consider FLAC, the Free Lossless Audio Codec:
http://flac.sourceforge.net/

> Various SGI desktops, including an O2 with A/V module and an Octane.
To my experience: On board PeeCee audio hardware is crap. But SGI made
a prety good job at designing proper audio hardware. So I recommend to
use some SGI gear at least for the raw recording. And the SGIs have
proper line inputs.

> Both
> have Irix and the default sound recording and manipulation applications.
Should be OK at least for the raw recording to WAV. You can do the post
processing (noise filtering, normalizing, cutting, ...) and transcoding
to FLAC and MP3 on a PeeCee. Have a look at Audacity:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
--

\end{Jochen}

\ref{http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/}