[geeks] Got the CurrentCost meter installed

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 18 11:13:43 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 12:00:32PM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>I think that we're arguing about different things.  My point is that
>it's doing the measurement in a way that isn't consistent with how the
>power utility does, and potentially gives you much different numbers
>than what you'd actually pay.  So, here's some numbers go go with Mouse
>and my concern; hopefully this will help illustrate my point.

It does, but is your concern more that the box is not accurate for specialized
loads or that it's not accurate at all?

I'm assuming that you and most of the people on this list have multiple
computers while the average "computer savy" family has one per adult and
older child, and the average "regular" family has one or two computers.

If you figure that most people have the kinds of devices that it is close
(10%? 5%? 1%) to what the electric company charges, then this is the device
for them.

I personally have never used one, I have several clamp on ammeters and use
them. But I am more concerned with peak useage than long term useage. I have
25 amp 230 volt service and a landlord who does not care about upgrading.

If I want to know long term useage I can read the electric meter and get
a good idea of what is being used. For example to measure a load of
laundry or dishes. I know it's contaminated by the refrigerator and the
lights, but it's still a good guess.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.