[geeks] I know this wasn't taught in American schools...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Jan 7 06:20:03 CST 2011

On 01/07/11 02:34, Michael C. Vergallen wrote:
> On 06/01/11 02:48, Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:
>> I saw this earlier today and was stunned. A pretty simple/easy way to
>> perform multiplication.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-P5RGdjICo
>>
> Yep that is quite amazing how simple it is .... will teach that
> technique to my nephew.

It looks slow and unwieldy to me, even with only three-digit numbers.
It's sort of like counting on your fingers, except with paper.

It's also not a Japanese technique, it's "Vedic mathematics", which
apparently aren't actually demonstrably Vedic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharati_Krishna_Tirtha%27s_Vedic_mathematics

The article notes that some of these techniques work only with numbers
that contain only certain digits or factors.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.