[geeks] Opinion: RTL8169 vs. Intel PCI e1000?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Jan 3 18:40:00 CST 2011

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 06:54:30PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I'd suggest Intel as well - they can be quite reasonably priced.
> There are very affordable Broadcom NICs as well ($20-25) that are PCIe...

I had about $20 in "eBay Bucks" to spend, so I ended up getting both an
Intel PCI e1000 NIC and one of the Marvell/SysKonnect PCI-E gigabit NICs
for a grand total of $6.

I've got a spare system with the same chipset and CPU as the "production"
ohno server, so I can run some tests with that.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas