[geeks] Sun-1 with Two CPUs?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Feb 24 18:07:08 CST 2011

On Thu, 24 Feb 2011, nate at portents.com wrote:

>> state), so I can only assume that this "processor" was a bit of custom
>> hardware that noticed when the processor was in the instruction prefetch
>> state and stashed the address somewhere for retrieval later if the
>> processor faulted.
>>
>> I can't find anything written about such a mechanism, though.  Has
> anyone
>> here heard of this?
>
> The second processor I'm guessing was the Sun-1 MMU:

Without an MMU, you're not really going to be doing virtual memory,
anyway.  I'd assumed that the existence of an MMU was presumed.

The Wikipedia page for the 68010 says "It can recover from bus faults,
allowing it to implement virtual memory."  That would imply that a vanilla
68000 was not usable with an MMU, so I guess it's possible that stashing
the faulting PC was part of the Sun MMU's job.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Elgin, TX