[geeks] SunOS SCSI tape drive help?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 09:52:19 CST 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 5:15 AM, Tom Manos <pitlog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a Wangtek 5125ES (120MB SCSI streamer) that I need to connect to a
> sparc 20 running SunOS 4.1.4.
>
> I've got the drive set to SCSI ID 2, and the machine sees the drive fine
> using probe-scsi, but I can't find a device that works. Nor after a bit of
> googling, can I find a reference that helps me figure this out.
>
> Is there a document that will teach me the correct incantation? Or can
> someone point me in the right direction?

Something obvious no one else has mentioned:  make sure your SCSI
termination is correct.

At the OK prompt, when you do a probe-scsi-all, is the tape drive
seen?  If probe-scsi-all doesn't see the drive when it's properly
terminated, that suggests a hardware problem with the drive or SCSI
bus.  I've seen weird hardware failure modes on drives--like answering
for all IDs and such.

You'll also need to do a reconfiguration reboot once the SCSI bus sees
the drive.

If I recall correctly, there is also a system file in /etc/ you will
need to configure with the proper information for your tape drive if
it's not in there.  This post might give you some ideas as to what to
google to get the low-down on adding support for the tape drive if
it's not recognized:
http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1113998&page=111

=Nadine=

p.s. It's kinda freaking me out that Geoff, der Mouse, and I are the
only ones that have responded with SunOS information.