[geeks] fwd: Kenneth H. Olsen, Digital Computing Pioneer, Entrepreneur and Gordon Board Member, Remembered

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Feb 10 10:22:45 CST 2011

" From: erie patsellis <erie at shelbyvilledesign.com>
"
" Truly a sad day, I worked for DEC many years ago and every time I met
" Ken he made a point to know my name and what I did. A great man who
" never forgot the little guy, upon whose work his company was built.

a hero of a bygone era...  that attitude is virtually impossible in a
publically-held corporation, where short-term share performance is
king.

it might be significant that dec lasted less than 6 years after he was
pushed out...

i also heard, through a friend, how politicized her area was, and a
company that values office politics over product [cf. gm] can't be
long for this world.  she was not one to suffer fools gladly at the
best of times, though.

ibm's latest power chips clock over 5ghz - i wonder how fast the alpha
would be running if dec was still around?