[geeks] Bug-Out Bags

Edward Mitchell ed at arxsystems.net
Tue Feb 1 06:58:59 CST 2011

On Feb 1, 2011, at 12:19 AM, Mike Meredith wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:22:26 -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> The problem with a Zippo is that the fuel eventually evaporates; will
>> a Bic hold up long-term (6+months) if I stick it in a plastic bag?
>
> Presumably "Bic" translates as those cheap plastic lighters found in
> corner shops ("stores") ? Yeah those should last 6 months easily. If
> the gas powered ones rather than the lighter fuel ones, they'll last
> ten times longer.
>
> Zippos are far too finicky for my liking - they're only suitable for a
> fall of civilisation bag together with the spare parts. I'm intending
> to survive the fall of civilisation by trading Zippo flints :)

Then have a good supply of dead Bic lighters. :)  Taking the flint out of a
Bic lighter, score it and then snap it in half into two equal length pieces.
Insert one piece where the flint of your Zippo used to be, insert the other
half in the cotton packing/wicking material of your Zippo for future use.
Even in death, the Bic's can be useful.