[geeks] Rhode Island

Kurt Huhn artisan at k-huhn.com
Thu Dec 22 10:07:14 CST 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:20:56AM -0500, Nate Raymond wrote:
> So my wife has been offered a job in Peace Dale, RI (south of Kingston, not
> too far from the University of Rhode Island), and I was wondering if anyone
> on the list had anything good/bad to share about the state for a fellow
> geek?  I've lived in Massachusetts most of my life, and while she can
> commute from MA, it's too far to do that regularly, so if she takes it we'd
> be looking to relocate.  Where are the good places to live?  We don't have
> any kids now, but probably will in a few yeras.  Is the job market there as
> bad as I hear it is?

I've been here for most of my life at this point, having moved here in 1987.

The job market can be good or bad, depending on your skills and focus.  RI is
not known for its tech industry, and most of those jobs are North of us.  I
commuted to Boston or Waltham for years before landing a a job locally when I
decided the commute was killing me (literally!).

I am, of course, biased about where I live.  I hate suburbs and cities, so I
bought a house in a little hamlet on the border of Foster and Scituate.  My
property is bordered on one side by Providence Water, and the other two sides
by neighbors who are also bordered by Providence Water.  Short story is, I
live in the middle of reservoir property, and there will never be development
here.  Good for me, but not great for increased property values.  Good thing
I never intend to move.  :)

As far as I'm concerned, Western RI is the place to live.  Most of the jobs
are in Eastern RI in Providence, Warwick, Cranston, etc.  Good thing the
commute from one side to the other is so short.

Feel free to contact me if you've got questions.  I'm always happy to help.

--
Kurt Huhn                    |      Respect Beer
Renaissance Man, Malcontent  |      Illegitimi non carborundum