[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 109, Issue 17

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 09:56:58 CST 2011

> From: Nate Raymond <nraymond at gmail.com>
> Subject: [geeks] Rhode Island
>
> So my wife has been offered a job in Peace Dale, RI (south of Kingston, not
> too far from the University of Rhode Island), and I was wondering if anyone
> on the list had anything good/bad to share about the state for a fellow
> geek?  I've lived in Massachusetts most of my life, and while she can
> commute from MA, it's too far to do that regularly, so if she takes it we'd
> be looking to relocate.  Where are the good places to live?  We don't have
> any kids now, but probably will in a few yeras.  Is the job market there as
> bad as I hear it is?
>
> - Nate

Well, the job market is pretty bad, especially for technology and
manufacturing. LinkedIn shows 166 IT related jobs in the area and
Monster shows 118, so depending on your skills you might do OK.

House prices have taken a major dive in the last few years and are
probably less than Mass. With a job in Peace Dale you could live
anywhere on the west bay south of Providence and have a short commute.
East Greenwich is probably the nicest and most expensive town on the
west bay and has really great schools. North Kingstown, Kingstown, and
South Kingstown are much more affordable, but are more rural.

There are lots of possibilities and choices...

--
Michael Thompson