[geeks] Nice Printer?

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Fri Apr 22 16:35:35 CDT 2011

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Jonathan Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
<snip>
> What do you lot use for putting crisp text on paper these days?

I have a Konica-Minolta MagiColor 2550 color laser, and have been very
satisfied with it.  It speaks PostScript level 3, it's fairly quick,
the consumables aren't too expensive (though I'll admit not having had
to replace anything, yet), it's not loud, and it doesn't take up an
enormous amount of room.  It's also fairly flexible, when it comes to
connectivity (USB 2.0, parallel, 10/100 ethernet).  It was also fairly
cheap ($300, IIRC) when I bought it.

It has my full recommendation, for any task but photo printing.  It
_does_ print color photos, mind you, but their quality pales, when
compared to a good, modern, inkjet.  My wife and I got married, last
year, and we printed _all_ of the wedding-related paperwork
(envelopes, invitations, thank-yous, etc.) on it, and it didn't cause
any issues.

- Alex