[geeks] Nice Printer?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri Apr 22 10:35:11 CDT 2011

On 04/22/11 11:15, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> My LaserJet 5M+ is in need of a new imaging unit, several rollers,
> possibly a cam or gear (paper doesn't fully eject), and a toner cartridge,
> leaving me to seriously consider whether it's worth getting perfect again.
>
> I don't print very often, but, when I do, it's text-heavy and usually for
> outside consumption.  Hence, why I've always leaned towards laser
> printers, since they do text beautifully and don't care if they're only
> run once a month.  However, modern laser printers look decidedly...cheap.
> $ork's LaserJet 2xxx-series printers don't seem to last more than two
> years, and HP in general don't seem to take PostScript very seriously
> these days.
>
> What do you lot use for putting crisp text on paper these days?

I still need to tear my 4M+ down again to try to find and check the
output paper sensor.  But I've been pretty happy with the LaserJet
4350DN we got from  ...  uh ...  dang.  Can't remember who now.  Aaron,
I think.  It's fast, reliable, and works well.

I still need to find a good new color printer sometime, something
capable of acceptable photo output.  Both the Color LaserJet 4500DN we
picked up in 2006 and the Deskjet [mumble] we had before that turned out
to be pretty much made of fail.  Capability for tabloid-size output on
heavyweight (32lb or heavier) paper would be nice; that'd open up some
additional income possibilities.  Though I wonder whether I should just
use DeviantArt for that instead...

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.