[geeks] tis the season for hardware to fail...

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 12 08:17:00 CDT 2011

On 12-Apr-2011 08:30, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2011, at 22:11, Shannon <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 11, 2011, at 21:06 , J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
>>
>>> Why not get another quality panel, used?  I can think of a couple, off
>>> of the top of my head; Dell's UltraSharp 24xx series.
>>
>> Those are TN displays but good idea if I can find a used source I'd trust.
>
> Actually, the 2405 is a PVA panel, and the 2407 and 2408 are S-PVA,
> while the U2410 is H-IPS.  That's why I like those monitors; quality
> panels for cheap.

Ah, I saw a couple and they faded with vertical changes like a TN so I
thought that was what they were. Maybe its just different than an MVA
like I have.

I did notice the 2410 was IPS, its $100 off atm. $500 is a bit too much
for me right now though, and I hate financing small things.

The Doublesight IPS displays looked interesting, but the only reviews I
could find says the build quality was poor, the buttons were cheap
feeling, and they had bad color out of the box.

I wish there were more reviews of the display and while I wouldn't trust
such a small sample of reviews, they do worry me.

The Dell units are a known so I'd probably lean to them if I can find
one for the right price. I like the way they look too.

Starting yesterday around 6pm my monitor started doing the vertical
lines thing, stopped around 0800 this morning. Its like that... run bad
for a few hours then its OK for hours, days, or even weeks.