[geeks] operating systems to replace Solaris

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 11 16:02:28 CDT 2011

On Apr 11, 2011, at 10:45 , Phil Stracchino wrote:

> What I can say is that as a general rule, my uptime is limited by how
> often I update my kernels, not by any stability issues.  On the previous
> machine to this one, that was not the case, because even with an uprated
> power supply it was a bit shaky when maxed out of memory; but that was a
> hardware stability issue, not software.

Something else to keep in mind is that some Sun hardware has failure modes
that Solaris has been patched for, but other OS are not. Sun and Oracle are
not always cooperative in providing the needed information.

That could cause some stability issues.

My primary limit on uptime is how power outage. I have a UPS but eventually it
fails if the outage is long and/or the batteries need replacing.

Even my Windows 7 box stays up for months now.