[geeks] operating systems to replace Solaris

Geoffrey Reed geoffr at zipcon.net
Mon Apr 11 14:58:57 CDT 2011

On 4/10/11 2:05 PM, "Dr Robert Pasken" <rpasken at eas.slu.edu> wrote:

> Why replace Solaris? You're going to give up stability and features and
> get what in return?
>
> Cheers
> RWP

Oracle has re-written large portions of the solaris license agreement, and
they have made it even less possible to get patches for solaris unless you
purchase a (expen$ive) service contract from them.  Sun at least would make
most critical patches available to their "freebie" users.

If you are running solaris on SUN hardware, according to the Sunacle execs
that I spoke with at the local Sun/Oracle welcome event, and the execs and
sales critters that came in to my $work(-1).  To have the OS supported, you
need to but a support contract on the hardware also.  They may have changed
that stance but I have not heard about it.