[geeks] operating systems to replace Solaris

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Apr 11 13:20:59 CDT 2011

On 4/11/2011 1:49 PM, Dr Robert Pasken wrote:
> Same hardware Solaris and BSD are running on, a mixture of Sun
> Ultra-24's Sun x2200's and Dell Precisions. Linux is a FedoraCore-13
> with current patches, although I have tried everything up to Fedora-current

My recommendation would be Centos (latest version) or Debian (latest
stable).  I have never had good experiences with Fedora-anything... a
server I installed (old DL385 G1) with Debian is up to 274 days uptime
at this point.

I have a lot of Solaris boxes with >400 days, but that is because I have
had Solaris running for clients a lot longer and only recently have
started to do some Linux stuff.

--Patrick