[geeks] operating systems to replace Solaris

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Apr 10 11:06:49 CDT 2011

I have been putting off replacing my old Solaris system for awhile now, and
remember some discussion about that here over the last year.

Some of you guys who replaced Solaris have any comments on what choice you
made and how it has worked out?

I am thinking of going back to NetBSD. It ran my personal and business servers
for years with a lot less fuss than Solaris, so it seems a safe bet.

The main thing I would miss is ZFS, I really like it a lot.

But, ZFS support still seems iffy from what I've read on other systems, and
the new Solaris license pretty well says I can't use it for what I intend
without buying it.

I had bad luck with FreeBSD 6 and 7 so it sorta soured me on it, but it does
have some features I like. Anyone using 8 and liking it?

The main thing is whatever I move to has to be solid as a rock, no
experimental stuff need apply.

I am not currently considering Linux because all the distributions seem fairly
bloated and I don't like the package systems. Some of them seem to put very
heavy dependencies even on basic server packages that are, or should be, all
text.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com