[geeks] UNS: Re: new mac keyboard...

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Apr 5 17:00:02 CDT 2011

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 17:50:08 -0400, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:
> On 04/05/11 17:41, Ross Lonstein wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 12:50:50PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
>>     [snip]
>>> Incidentally, was the negative experience with the Matias Tactile
>>> Pro v1, v2, or v3?
>>     [snip]
>>
>> I had a V1. It was unreliable. I eventually went to a Unicomp then to
>> a Filco. I could live with the symbols on the keycaps rubbing off but
>> not with the lost and ghost keypresses. The sticking keys were another
>> problem.
>
> Key symbols rubbing off again.  Does NOBODY use proper
> double-shot-molded keys any more?

Double-shot molding is either uncommon or just not done anymore... I can't
remember which.  The Matias Tactile Pro v3 is laser-etched though (which is
the next best thing).  And for the record, I have quality pad printed keys
that have been in heavy use for years and not a single letter has worn yet
(cheap pad printed keyboards I've seen at work have worn in less than a
year).  Perhaps of note though I simply wash my hands regularly (no hand
sanitizer, lotions, etc. that could wear down pad printing early).

More on key cap types here:

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=All+About+Keys

- Nate