[geeks] Open Solaris, while I've been asleep.

Kurt Huhn artisan at k-huhn.com
Thu Oct 28 07:02:23 CDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 06:55:23AM +0200, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 06:30:28PM -0500, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
>
> >That would be very shortsighted of them.  A -whole lot- of people run
> >Oracle on AIX, Linux, and Windows very happily.  Those people pay silly
> >money to Oracle for that "privilege".
>
> I don't think so at all. If they do nothing to IMPROVE the performance of
> Oracle under those operating systems, but significantly improve the
> performance of Oracle under Solaris by tightly integrating the operating
> system with the application people would want to move.
>
> I can only speculate the numbers, but I assume something like 2%-3% would
> not make much difference to customers, 5% would show some movement and
> 10% or more would make a big change.

Ellison has already stated that this is a goal, and that Oracle has plans to
offer an Oracle "appliance" that runs a tightly integrated set of hardware,
Solaris, and Oracle.  I seem to recall reading an interview where he
indicated that they were just beginning this process, and they were already
seeing significant speed increases.  It will be interesting to what they come
up with.

--
Kurt Huhn                    |      Respect Beer
Renaissance Man, Malcontent  |      Illegitimi non carborundum