[geeks] Open Solaris, while I've been asleep.

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Oct 27 14:02:45 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 01:52:18PM -0500, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
>Well, yes, the parts of the code from Sun are fixed and will move forward
>when Sun cuts a new release.  The amount of effort it'll take to keep this
>thing sane is monumental.  I don't have the faith that they'll be able to
>pull it off, seeing as how Oracle really have no incentive to keep the
>OS/Net distribution internally consistent from release to release.

I may be wrong, but I expect that Oracle's goal in the near future, besides
teaching their managment junior high math, is to integrate Oracle and
Solaris to the point that you won't want to run Oracle without Solaris.

I'm not saying drop support for any other platform, I'm saying integrate them
tightly enough that there is a severe performance hit without them together.

That part would probably stay closed source, after all if it were open sourced,
it would end up in Linux and possibly Windows. Possibly not the code, but the
API's, etc.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order