[geeks] Nerdy scripting help...

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Thu Oct 14 09:00:22 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 05:25:05PM -0400, Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:23 PM, <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 05:15:58PM -0400, Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:
> >
> >> I've been playing with the for loops in DOS and got them to work, as well
> >> as
> >> the find command, but the find command does not act like grep and doesn't
> >> give me output I can use. Anyone else solve this before?
> >>

> > There are plenty of grep impementations for DOS/Windows. My favorite is the
> > Interix one for SFU, but many people prefer the Cygwin version.
> >
> This is not my server, so I do not have the option of interix/cygwin or
> perl.

VBScript through WSH is an option on *every* supported Windows OS today.
(Powershell is only likely to be installed on the most modern versions.)

ActivePerl can convert perl scripts to a complete, self-contained Windows
executable with no dependencies.

Both of these are better options than fiddling with cmd.exe.