[geeks] Dune novels

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat May 29 22:31:38 CDT 2010

On 05/29/10 23:17, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> There is the original Dune series written by Frank Herbert himself, and
> a later set written by his son in collaboration with another writer.
>
> Is it the case that the only ones worth reading are the ones written by
> Frank Herbert, and that the rest should be considered in the same
> category as the two follow-on movies to "The Matrix" ?

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with the Herbert ones beyond Dune
Messiah.  He started churning out pot-boilers after that.  Kung-Fu
Masters of Dune.  The Last Unicorn of Dune.  Ingrown Toenails of Dune.

Well, OK, God-Emperor was sorta tolerable.  On the other hand,
Chapterhouse, for example, was pure "WTF?"

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.