[geeks] Good quality ATX case with side access HDD bays?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri May 28 00:54:48 CDT 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 03:20:14PM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Mark Benson wrote:
> >I intend on upgrading to a newer motherboard with 2 PCI-e x16 slots and
> >Crossfire support, and a i5 or i7 CPU. Any recommendations on a PSU? I was
> >looking at around 600W according to what I got from most PSU company
> >calculators + a bit of safety margin.
> PC Power & Cooling has a very nice 750W.

When its a system that matters, I go with either PC Power & Cooling (now
owned by OCZ I think), or something from Corsair.  I've got PCP&C 450W in
the system I built a couple of years ago, and have a Corsair 450VX in the
AMD Phenom II system I built a month ago.  Will probably stick with Corsair
in the future, I'm impressed with their product.

For the two systems built around Opteron server boards that aren't
critical, I threw in some "Power Up!" brand 400W supplies from CompUSA/
TigerDirect.

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Up-400-Watt-ATX-Supply/dp/B003BL3N6S

I know, "you get what you pay for" - but for $22, these have worked just
fine so far. One system has dual dual-core Opteron 270s, a DVD burner,
a 500G hard drive, and a GeForce 9500 video card and has had no issues
yet.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford