[geeks] Ultra 5 success! (was re: IDE drive problem on U5)

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Sun May 9 13:23:44 CDT 2010

Just to follow up one last time, thank you to all of you who gave me
tips & advice. I was able to put an older Fujitsu branded 80 gb
Deskstar into the U5 and get Solaris 8 to install proving that 1) the
drive interface was good & 2) the disk was good. Then I followed up on
some advice and found a description online about how to disassemble &
use rubbing alcohol to clean the internals of my Type 4 keyboard. Now
the shift keys & return key work again. That allowed me to reset the
output device setting to something more useable than the 800x600 it
was defaulting to and which kept the various BSD installers from
working correctly.

I have FreeBSD/Sparc64 8.0 loading on it right now.

I'll still need to do something about the memory errors but that's for
a latter date when maybe I can scrounge the money to buy a 1gb U10 set
(since I don't need the floppy drive).

Thanks again,

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.