[geeks] IDE drive problem on U5

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Sun May 2 09:39:25 CDT 2010

Just to follow up.

I installed the Deskstar 80 gb & the Solaris installer saw it,
complained about a bad magic number and then did it's thing to
successfully install Solaris 8 on the system..

That  accomplished I got ready to try and install NetBSD as it's OS
except that I've discovered three other issues -

One - the console is reporting lots of soft errors on one of the RAM
sticks so I'll probably want to try tracking down a 1gb U10 kit as
someone suggested here (I don't have any need for a floppy).

Two - neither shift key on my Type 4 keyboard works. I really don't
have the money for another so is there anything online about possibly
fixing it? Or failing that, anyone with a really cheap/free Type 4 or
5 on near Madison WI? At least the old optical mouse is working fine
and I have the right pad for it.

Three - this is the biggest problem - during the boot of the NetBSD
install disk, it kicks into wscons and then the video gets somewhat
scrambled. It's acting like it's too narrow a screen for the installer
and so when it gets to the menu driven hard drive prep screens the
installer fails. Anyone seen this before? Because of the keyboard
problem, I'm not able to adjust the screen size at the OK prompt - I
can't get a : character to do the appropriate setenv string. Thoughts?

Thanks!

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.