[geeks] Experience with using 20 pin ATX PSU in motherboard that takes 24 pin EATX power connector?

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Sun May 2 03:48:38 CDT 2010

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 04:41:53AM -0400, Nate wrote:
>It's designed to work, the extra four pins are just more 12V and ground, it's
>just not ideal if it doesn't have the extra 12V.
>
>That sounds like a *really* old power supply (or a really old design) you have
>there if it has such a beefy 5V line, which stopped being used for CPU power
>back with socket 423, i.e. 10 years ago.  Since both CPUs and video cards draw
>off of 12V starting with socket 478 and later, how many amps you have on the

Yes, you're right should get something modern (from an efficiency
point of view). I took a closer look at the PSU - it's a MITAC and
it's got a SUN P/N on the side, my guess it ended up in my parts bin
from an U5 or 10! I'll pop something modern in after the weekend,
this'll have to do for now. Luckily I'm working with the onboard Intel
G31 / ICH7 and not an external graphics card etc.

Cheers,
Jonathan