[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Mar 15 10:08:30 CDT 2010

>> http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/store/custom/index.php
>
> Those are not earbuds.  Those are IEMs.

I'm not sure 'earbud' has a strict definition... it typically just means a
headphone with a driver and enclosure that does not fit over or on but
rather in the ear to some degree, typically held in place by the cartilage
structure of the ear rather than a connective external headphone band or
other pressure system.

Therefore, I've understood IEMs to be a specific subcategory of 'earbud'.
And personally I find the term 'monitor' when applied to audio to be
mildly obnoxious, so I'll say 'in-ear headphone' before I'll say 'in-ear
monitor', which would be more marketing-speak (and yes I own 'monitor'
headphones and speakers, but I don't refer to them as such).

Recently a friend of mine alerted me to this effort, rather impressive:

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/categories/27-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest

- Nate