[geeks] Policy for system / package upgrades in Enterprise

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Jul 26 13:24:46 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 01:00:15PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
>I don't recall this.  Pretty sure I had no trouble with IDE optical drives
>and 9.04.  I do remember some change they made to device symlinks, had to
>manually create the properly named ones for things to work after one of the
>OS updates years ago, but that's about it.

It was not a case of bad symlinks, it simply could not read any data off
of the drives. I tried this on several systems and for a while used my USB
external drive when I needed to read or write a DVD and could not just mount
it over the network from a drive on a Debian system that worked.

>> BTW 9.04 also never worked on an Intel Atom or similar processor
>
>I didn't have any problems running 9.04 on my Acer Aspire One with an
>Intel Atom (well short of the Atheros wifi driver issues, but I ultimately
>solved those by swapping out that wifi card with an Intel one).

Was it the original 9.04 or the "NetBook Respin"? The Original flavor did
not boot and it was known at release time. Something was changed and it failed
in an early release candidate, then it worked, and in the final one it failed.

However no one bothered to test it and by the time they did the deadline for
fixes was past. The people running the project decided not to make an
exception, nor document it, as in "DON'T INSTALL THIS IF YOU HAVE AN ATOM
PROCESSOR" on the release notes, download page, etc.

The Netbook respin was created to get something working at all on ATOM
processors, and it included their special "Netbook" bloat.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order