[geeks] Four-port PCI Ethernet?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jul 6 14:22:55 CDT 2010

On 07/06/10 15:13, der Mouse wrote:
>> - What other options exist to get four 10/100 ports in a single
>> 32-bit PCI slot in an x86 box?
>
> It's not quite what you asked for, but have you considered using a
> single interface, 802.1q-trunked to (and broken out via) a vlan-capable
> switch?

Well, the problems there would be (a) I don't have a vlan-capable
switch, (b) as far as I know pf cannot reflect a packet back out on the
same interface it came in on, and (c) I can't quite see how that would
work for a firewall.  (The fact that it's a firewall box being why it
needs so many interfaces in the first place.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.