[geeks] Back to the home NAS question...

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Sat Jan 30 14:15:22 CST 2010

Fellow geeks,

I have a Socket 939 AMD (I think it is an X2800 or something) not doing much
of anything; it has a whole 2 GB of RAM and it even has internal SATA
support. I'm thinking it could make a nice home NAS. Does anyone know of
some good specials of where I can get 2x 500GB SATA drives (or best value)
so I can get a mirrored setup running?

It would be nice if I had some unlimited cash. I still have that E3000 with
16 bays in it. Imagine 15x 1TB drives in it; I'd need a SCA to SATA
converter, of course, but with 3GB of RAM, 6x 400Mhz CPUs and ZFS it could
be a lot of fun.

I also have that A5000. Same thing, with FC->SATA adapters I could shoehorn
14 big drives in it.

Oh, speaking of, does anyone have any spare SC GBICs around?

--
-Jon
Jonathan Katz, Indianapolis, IN.